Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Super Supporters

Lady Vikings' parents were an awesome group. We were very lucky young ladies.

Sandra's folks were at our games if at all possible. Her folks and my folks never seemed to mind having a carload of girls in the back seat heading to a ballgame. Her dad loved to yell at the referees; my dad quietly enjoyed every minute of the games. Her mom was a huge fan of basketball; I teased my mom that she never learned the rules of the game and usually was looking the wrong way. My parents are gone now, and Sandra's dad died this January. She told me that while she was visiting him in ICU they talked about our upcoming reunion. He was looking forward to seeing the players. Her mom, Mrs. Barbara will, hopefully, get to the reunion. And we'll remember Mr. Hubert Arnold as we visit together. He was a great Lady Vikings fan.

I remember I was in about 5th grade, and towering above all my classmates, when Mr. Helms and Coach Athon told Mama that I was destined to be a basketball player. She was horrified, because her dream was for me to be a piano player. However, she soon saw my love for basketball, and she and Daddy supported me every step of the way. They spent a lot of time in gyms watching basketball games.

Shirley's mom rolled down her car window and called to me as I was going in the post office last week. She and I had a good time talking and reminiscing a few minutes about those basketball years. Shirley is married to Coach Matt Troutman, who is continuing the Lady Viking tradition of winning lots of games and state championships. In fact, this year's Lady Vikings are playing in Savannah this week for the quarter finals of state.

Sissy and Judy's parents, Sarah and Frank Riley, were a big part of the whole Taylor County basketball experience. Our freshman year, Sandra and I were welcomed into the Lady Viking forwards group by the Rileys. Lots of games we went to the Riley's home for the afternoon, while the guards went to Coach Carter's home. Mrs. Sarah fed us our pre-game meal and then we went to the gym. It seemed she was always driving us one place or another to ballgames or practices. Mrs. Sarah spent lots of time sewing the Lady Vikings matching outfits that we wore to away games. She spent countless hours running the concession stand at games. Mr. Frank kept us on our toes with his sage advice. He and Mrs. Sarah are still on the go more than anybody I know. I think they were the very first to sign up for our reunion.

I also learned of the Georgia Bulldogs from the Rileys. They were huge fans, and went to lots of football and basketball games at UGA. The Riley and Brown family has a long Georgia legacy, and influenced me to love the Bulldogs too.

There were many more parents who were great fans and supporters. If we needed anything, they were ready to help.

2 Comments:

At February 27, 2007 at 5:08 PM , Blogger Sandra Arnold said...

I too have some great memories of all the parents. All the memories are much more precious to me now since my Dad passed away. If I remember correctly he missed only one game in my four years of playing and that was the night Haralson County beat us in sub-region. I came home and told him we lost and he did not believe me.

 
At March 12, 2007 at 11:11 AM , Blogger Shelley Carroll Thessen said...

Hi Sandra..trying to leave my memories but new to this blogging scene. My congratulations to ALL THE LADY VIKINGS..

Shelley

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home