Monday, February 19, 2007

Fundamentals were our strength

I have watched the Lady Bulldogs and other college teams play for several years. Every game I say that if Norman Carter could teach them how to block out and rebound, make good passes, use the backboard to shoot, and not just stand in their tracks, these teams could win national titles. I think that any of our championship teams could have beaten many of these college teams because of our fundamentals.

It's obvious that they don't have the same respect ( or fear) for these college coaches. We knew that if we did exactly what Coach Carter told us to, then we would be successful. I have seen this as I have worked with kids in 4-H projects and my own, that they will do exactly what you expect them to. Coach Carter set the bar high for us.

When I think about the girls on these teams, I remember that people would be surprised when we came in that we were not huge, rough looking tomboys. We were just well coached and totally focused on the job at hand. It also helped us that the entire county actively supported our teams. We were lucky that there were not a lot of other distractions in town because everyone was concentrating on basketball. We didn't realize how great we had it, we just knew it was fun winning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home