Thursday, February 15, 2007

Put Me In, Coach!

I was part of Coach Carter’s Lady Vikings the last two seasons of his coaching career. As a freshman, then a sophomore, I spent games mostly on the bench eagerly waiting for a few minutes in the game. I actually did get some playing time…my husband says he fell in love with me (No. 24) while I was shooting a free throw during the state play-offs at the Macon Coliseum!

I remember those practices, nothing like a healthy dose of fear and intimidation to cause you to give it your all. And just when you thought it was finally over, we’d have to run about 25 laps around the court! It was grueling and exhilarating at the same time. Coach Carter brought out the best in us and in the process we received confidence in ourselves and respect for others that we carried beyond the court.

I get to see Coach Carter from time to time when he brings his Golden Rule girls to our church. From the choir as I see him in the crowd I stand a little taller and I sing a little louder. I guess I’m still trying to impress him to “put me in, Coach, I’m ready to play!”

2 Comments:

At February 16, 2007 at 8:27 AM , Blogger Sandra Arnold said...

The bench!!!! What would we have done without you????? The success of our team was a team effort and that included the managers, scorekeepers and THE BENCH. The last 2 years I played as a "rover" and I don't think I could have made it without the bench. I owe Edie Smith a big thank you.

 
At February 16, 2007 at 2:18 PM , Blogger Bunny Fuller Harris said...

That's neat about Buddy watching Susan shoot a free throw in the Macon Coliseum and falling in love. What a perfect story for the day after Valentine's Day!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home