Monday, February 19, 2007

Thoughts from a Guard

Playing basketball for Norman Carter was an awesome experience. We all had the great desire to please him each time we hit the hardwoods. He had the ability to motivate us all to do our best.

He trained us well so that we would know what to do in each situation.

I remember practicing over and over with the clock set at 2 minutes left. We would be ahead by 2 points or behind by 2. We knew when to foul, when not to foul, and who to foul in every situation.

Speaking of practice, I think we should address it. Girls practice was always 4th period and right before lunch every day so that we could have that extra time if needed. Mrs. Moore's lunches were so good after a hard practice.


Basketball practice was the foundation for our winning seasons. It was tough!

I was just wondering if anyone remembered taking a shower after practice? I don't think the showers actually worked in that old locker room. Also I don't remember taking my gym clothes home very often to wash them. They were so stiff that they stood up in my locker after a week or so.

Now I realize why the rest of the students avoided the girls basketball players after lunch every day.

I also want to thank Jane Carter for her care and concern for the players. She was wonderful. She would allow the Guards to stay at her house before the tournament games to rest and focus before the games. The forwards would go to the Riley home. I think Coach Carter wanted us to all stay in town before the games.

After basketball season my Senior year Jane Carter took Karon, Denease McAbee and me to the Medical Center of Central GA School of Nursing to look at the school. She knew we were all considering attending Nursing School. She contacted Martha Clark who was a student there to show us around. Karon and I decided to attend the school. Thank you, Jane.

2 Comments:

At February 19, 2007 at 5:37 PM , Blogger Judy Riley Bland said...

I too remember the clothes that would stand up on their own after several days of practice. I NEVER remember taking a shower after practice or a game. I am sure people kept their distance.....

 
At March 11, 2007 at 4:12 PM , Blogger Bunny Fuller Harris said...

You've said it well, Edie. Mrs. Jane Carter was always there for the Lady Vikings. I remember the time my freshman year when we had a little get together at the beginning of the season at their home. She was so nice to us all, and made us feel a part of their family. Cathy and Trey were so little and cute, playing with us all. We had fun.

We all agree with Edie - thanks for everything, Mrs. Jane!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home