Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Lights Out!

In 1969 we played in the state tournament in Macon and we got to spend the night at the Alpine Lodge after we won the first night. Dianne Wall and I were in a room together and two more were in there too. I wish the other two girls that were in the room would let me know who they were. I can't remember them, but I do remember the trouble we got into with Coach Norman Carter.

One of the other girls had brought a Password Game and two flashlights, and we wanted to finish our game after the time Coach had said for lights out. Some of the managers (LaRoy Barrow, Gary Payne, and maybe one or two more) were standing outside so we asked them to whistle or cough if they saw Coach Carter coming so we could turn off the flashlights before he saw the light through the window.

We were just enjoying our Password Game when all of a sudden there was a sharp rap on the door, and Coach's voice said, "Linda!" We turned those flashlights out but it was too late.

I was too shocked to answer. My heart dropped to my toes. Again he said, louder this time, "Linda Joiner!"

The third time he called me, I finally found my voice to answer, "Sir?"

"Didn't I tell you what time to have lights out and go to sleep? Well, I meant it!"

"Yes, sir," I said, and we went to sleep. The next morning we four were all so scared. We just knew we'd be benched and wouldn't be playing that night at all. The other players avoided us at breakfast and all morning. They didn't want to get in trouble with us. Finally Coach came to our room and told us that we weren't going to be benched, that he just wanted us to get our rest before the big game. We all breathed a sign of relief.

I've always wondered where those managers who were our look-outs diasppeared to???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home