Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Special People

It has been so interesting to read all the blogs and comments from everyone. I have wanted to write since the first one I read, but something happened January 25, 2007 that changed my life. My Dad passed away. He was so excited about this reunion. Just a few days before he passed away he and I talked about it when he was in ICU. I know he will not be with me at the reunion, but I will feel his presence.

Another great man that influenced my life is Coach Carter. Gosh, I was so scared of him! He taught us all so much. While playing under his coaching I learned that it took the entire team to win. It takes the entire family, the entire church, the entire co-workers, etc. to be successful and because of Coach Carter I can say I am successful because of him.

There are so many great memories of Coach Carter........well, some are not so great! I remember once that he lined us up against the "wall" after practice and said someone had failed an algebra test. He wouldn't name the person but said, "you know who you are". He said he had talked to the teacher and this person would be allowed to take the test again the next day and "you had better pass". Of course I went home and studied my butt off and made a 94 on the test. I was so nervous because I knew if I failed again Coach Carter could remove me from the team. Basketball was my life so I never failed another test. (Thanks Mr. Dwight!!)

There are so many memories that I will never forget. Of course there are several about my Dad that comes to mind. Because he was a preacher I had to attend Church. For some strange reason we had a game on a Wednesday night and I was afraid he would make me go to Church and miss the game. He let me play and I remember seeing him come into the gym during the 3rd quarter. Apparently, he cut his service short so he could come to the game. I can only remember him missing 2 games in four years. My senior year, my last game, the State championship game, I got my front tooth knocked straight up into my gum. Gosh, it was so painful. It happened a few seconds before half-time. I did not see him, but I have been told that he climbed the fence that separated the fans from the court. He had to see for himself that I was alright. Two doctors came to our dressing room and said I should go the the emergency room. Coach Carter asked what I wanted to do. There was no hesitation.....my last game....I was finishing the game! I did, we won and I could not eat my steak afterwards.

I was asked how I felt after Perry broke our winning streak. That was one of the worst nights in my life. With 5 seconds left in the game I started walking off the court and someone grabed me and walked with me to the door of our dressing room. I thought it was the guy I was dating, but to my surprise it was my brother, Edward. He knew how devastated we were. There was not a dry eye on the TC side of the gym. Edward later wrote an editorial to the Perry newspaper commending the Perry team on their win. He also reminded them that "we are still number one". The following day we were allowed to report to school late. I will never forget the scene. The cheerleaders had the halls decorated and everyone was cheering. I know I cried all day.

So many people were involved in our winning streak......Coach Carter, players, cheerleaders, managers, scorekeeper, fans and our parents.....you are all so very special. I will always cherish each of you. There is one more special person in my life I have to mention. Bunny Fuller Harris, thank you for being my teammate for so many years. Bunny and I started playing together at recess in the fifth grade. Yep, in our little dresses! We actually started our winning streak in the 8th grade. Believe it or not, I could read her mind. I could look at her and I would know which direction she was going and I would throw the ball in that direction.....hoping I was right. From as far as I can remember it has been Fuller-Arnold!!!! Thanks, Bunny for so many memories.

Looking forward to seeing all of you March 17, 2007.

2 Comments:

At March 9, 2007 at 8:39 PM , Blogger Bunny Fuller Harris said...

I have a copy of Edward's letter in my scrapbook. It was great.

Sandra, Thanks for being my teammate too. We played basketball for a lot of years, and it was great fun. Bunny

A little trivia for the rest of you: Sandra and I played in an even 100 games of the 132 game winning streak.

 
At March 16, 2007 at 2:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of Special People.... one of my favorite memories is how much my Mom loved to go to our ballgames.
She wasn't one to travel out of town, but you did not want to get in the way of her getting to those home games.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home