Monday, March 5, 2007

A Bright Star in My Collection of Memories

I can truly say without a doubt that the memories I have of my school days at Taylor County are by far the fondest. The friendships made with both teachers, coaches, teammates and counselors are a bright star in my collection of memories. My class of 1973 was an awesome group of people. Even though we were the green peas in comparison to the group that we followed, we still felt very much a part of the Lady Vikings Winning Streak years. When Edie Smith, Kathy Underwood, Carlynn Neisler, and I made the varsity team you would have thought we had made it to the Olympics.

The momentum of what Norman Carter had done with basketball was felt throughout Middle Georgia. He had become a legend and had earned the respect of his players and colleagues alike. I often think back and wonder what it was. He created in us an absolute love for the sport. If you were not totally committed 100% to basketball and the program, then there was no place for you. Coach Carter demanded respect and raised the bar for all of us to achieve the very best in all areas of our lives. What people fail to understand was that he made us better people for it. We were expected to be academically high achievers. We held our heads high wherever we went. We were proud of who we were, because we knew that we had been set apart. Bunny, Sandra, Patsy, Regina, and those that I cannot recall were role models to us.

I went on to play basketball at Middle Georgia College. Bunny had also played there. We might have gone on to better things, but women's basketball in the intercollegiate level was untapped at that time.

I want to thank Sandy Harris and Dwight Harris for keeping me focused on my academics during that time.

Taylor County Lady Vikings became who they were because of one man's dream (Norman Carter) and the support of a lot of parents and teachers who supported that dream. I just want to say thank you to Bunny, Karon, Judy, and all of the great people who are taking the time to bring this reunion to fruition. Job well done to each of you, and to Coach Carter.

1 Comments:

At March 9, 2007 at 8:48 PM , Blogger Bunny Fuller Harris said...

Carol, Look forward to seeing you at the reunion.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home