Thursday, March 15, 2007

Many Great Memories

The four years 1967-1971 that I was on the team were years that will always remain in my memory. I read the blog and enjoy thinking about the very hard work that every member of the team put out because we wanted our community to be proud of us and we did not want to let them down.

Yes, that was my Dad that came all the way to Milledgeville to get me, Joyce and Lynn at college so we could see the game against Perry. He carried us back that night. That was a long ride back to school after the game. We were so sad about the loss.

I remember the medicine ball. I also remember the ankle weights that we wore everywhere. Yes, I mean everywhere.

We had so many great supporters. I remember the banquets people in the community would give after we'd win the state tournaments. Flintside, out on Hwy 19 North across the river on the left hand side, was one place I remember we went as a group for supper. I hesitate to name the groups that honored us. There were several, and we loved it. We had some great times and good food.

Everyone of the Lady Vikings had matching outfits for away games. I always felt we made quite an impact on everyone when we walked into the gyms.

I think we all learned a lot about ourselves that made us who we are today. We were, and are, a determined, dedicated group that just will not quit. I am not good at writing these kind of things, but I am thankful that I had the opportunity to be a Lady Viking and I would not take anything for that experience.

Dianne Kendrick Chastain

3 Comments:

At March 15, 2007 at 4:24 PM , Blogger Bunny Fuller Harris said...

We were something in our matching outfits. I remember two: the jumper pictured (1970) and a gray skirt and navy blazer (1969). I think the 1968 team had an outfit also.

 
At March 21, 2007 at 12:28 PM , Blogger Joyce Kendrick Kennon said...

Dianne,

Take a look at the John Romain pocketbooks in the picture! I know you remember those.

Joyce Kendrick Kennon

 
At November 10, 2008 at 10:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written article.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home