Monday, March 12, 2007

Basketball was my life!

I forget what grade I was in, but I had decided that I wanted to be a cheerleader.  I was pretty small, but I had a loud mouth, so cheerleading seemed like the thing to do. Coach Carter had a different idea.  He said I was too mean to be a cheerleader and he was going to make a basketball player out of me.  Well imagine my surprise when in the 9th grade I made the team.  Of course my uniform was a little big for me.  My mom had to rip out the seams and fold them under and pretty much remake the entire thing.  At least I had a lot of padding, which turned out to be a good thing, since Coach Carter taught me the technique of getting "charging fouls"  (even when you were not touched by the opposing team).  I was suppose to get a milkshake for each successful attempt.  I can't remember how many milkshakes I got, but I do have a few scars to show  for my success.  Yes, basketball was my life and I sure had some good friends to make all the hard work worthwhile and of course all the winning and State Championships  were a big PLUS.  I didn't know what it meant to lose!  In my 4 years on the team, I never played in a losing game!!    Thanks to all my teammates, the fans, cheerleaders, managers  and Coach Carter for helping me be a part of such an awesome winning streak.  
#10  Patsy Ranow Gaultney 

3 Comments:

At March 13, 2007 at 9:01 AM , Blogger Sandra Arnold said...

Pee-Wee, You did get your share of charging fouls. I got 4 my senior year in a game with Perry at home. My rear end was so sore. I don't know how you survived all those years!

 
At March 14, 2007 at 2:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patsy: Mr. Carter would make us boys eat in 10 min. (no. 5 min. ) and be ready to run offensive drills against the Lady Vikings defense. I recall charging you and knocking you to the ground. I felt bad and reached down to help you on your feet. That's when I heard the dreaded clip board hit the gym floor. I still have nightmares about that sound. It would just echo in that gym forever. Right behind every clip board episode was a brief "chewing out". Mr. Carter said "Smith, she's perfectly capable of getting up without your assistance." I will apologize in person Sat. night
Wayne

 
At March 14, 2007 at 9:09 PM , Blogger Bunny Fuller Harris said...

Yes, I remember the guys who Coach Carter picked to practice against the Lady Vikings. They've done pretty well: Dr. Ben Cheek of Columbus, Attorney Chuck Byrd of Reynolds, and Superintendent Wayne Smith of Taylor Co. Schools!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home