Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Best Doctor

Coach Carter tried his best to keep us from getting sick during basketball season. Our managers were in charge of making sure each of us took a vitamin every day after practice. At the beginning of the season, I remember us lining up and each getting a flu shot. This preventive medicine seemed to work, because I only remember Patsy missing that one game during the state tournaments. I don't remember anyone else missing a game; there may be someone but I don't remember it. I know several Lady Vikings, and anybody who played ball under Norman Carter, have tales similar to the following.


One day during basketball season I was feeling a little under the weather. I was in typing class, and Coach Carter appeared at the door. He motioned for me to come there and told Mrs. Guy that I'd be back in a few minutes. He told me he was taking me up to Jimmy Smith's pharmacy to see if I had a fever and if I needed any medicine. I had no idea how he knew I wasn't feeling well, but I hopped in the green Maverick and off we went uptown to the drug store to see Mr. Jimmy (who was a great basketball fan). He checked my temperature, asked me a few questions, gave me some medicine, and Coach took me back to class. I was instantly well. When I got home, I asked my mother how in the world Coach Carter knew I didn't feel goodthat day. We finally figured out that at the teacher's lunch table, she questioned Coach Sandy Harris about what the rules were concerning missing a portion of the school day and still playing ball that night. That information passed from Sandy to Coach Carter, and my illness was nipped in the bud.

Some say it was pretty amazing that during the five years of the streak, Lady Vikings had 99.9% attendance at school. They just didn't know that illness was not allowed by Coach Carter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home